A Runner's World

You think you know...but you have No Idea

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Ignorant Country Kids Meet Inner City Thugs

Wellllll here it is. The long anticipated unveiling of my blog. Funny how the word blog takes away the cermonious ring to that sentence. Where did they get the word "blog" anyway?? Oh well, no use in pondering that question. It's not like it will change anything. I'm an official blogger now.

What gets me though is that this stuff is all over the newspapers and the radio. "What's a blog?" "How to get a Blog" "Why people blog". I was under the impression that this was for high school and college students who have nothing better to do than procrastinate on hmwk. Seriously, do 40 year old CEO's get all excited about checking their co workers blogs? Do they check their competitors blogs to see what they are doing? The idea of a man in a suit and tie laughing at someone's blog while he drinks his coffee in the morning the way I laugh at ron's (or whoever else's) while I drink my hot chocolate seems crazy to me. But then again, I guess they are people too. Maybe they just need a way to release all the chaos in their minds like us. Oh well, I'm sure I'll be one of those people one day anyway. Loser and compulsive writer that I am.

Ok, one story about my Tuesday and I'm done. I swear Dottie. By the way, my blogs may be long but yours are way too short! Beef those puppies up!

Tuesday I had a field experience visit to Tech High School. Everyone in my class happens to be from some Podunk town that has probably one minority family, if any, in it. So naturally they're all freaking out about how they're going to be shot and killed at Tech, and quite frankly if they didn't shut up, I was going to be the one to shoot and kill them.

Anyway, we get into the auditorium and this sweet looking old white lady comes up to give a little introductory speech in which she says, and I quote, "We don't consider ourselves as 'inner city', we like to call ourselves 'urban' because you won't see grafitti all over the walls and we don't outwardly recognize our gangs" She whispered the gang part, which made it all the more hilarious to me.

Immediately I could hear squirming and whispers coming from the future teachers behind me who I wanted to turn around and punch for being so judgemental before stepping into a single classroom. I admit, the gang part made me slightly uncomfortable too, but in the end, that's not going to phase me. My job as a teacher will be to educate the future of America, and that includes ALL students, regardless of their socioeconomic background or their sense of style. By being a good role model, you can help these students choose education over drug dealing and street life, but that's never going to happen if you let preconceived notions about blacks, mexicans, asians, native americans, whatever...influence your actions. What message is it sending to a black male dressed in baggy jeans with necklaces hanging from his neck if you treat him like he's got the bubonic plague? It tells him that he's not understood, and never will be, except for by his brothers on the street.

It's also helpful to keep in mind that Columbine was not an inner city school. It was a suburb of "rich bitches".

And I'm spent. Better Dot?? =)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home